Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Panakawan Javanese Wayang Miniature Clay Thimble

I remember when I was a kid, there was comedy program on TV called Ria Jenaka. It presented comedians of Panakawan. I was not fan of it because its not really fun for me and not cute at all. (sorry) But here I am, I just understand what is Panakawan. If you know Javanese wayang, Panakawan is one of its. I am super proud of this Java heritage.


The Panakawan Miniature of Javanese Wayang on Thimble by  KuroHouseofCraft

This is from wikipedia: "Punokawan or panakawan or panakavan (phanakavhan) are the clown servants of the hero. There are four of them – Semar (also known as Ki Lurah Semar), Petruk, Gareng and Bagong. Semar is the personification of a deity, sometimes said to be the dhanyang or guardian spirit of the island of Java. In Javanese mythology, deities can only manifest themselves as ugly or otherwise unprepossessing humans, and so Semar is always portrayed as short and fat with a pug nose and a dangling hernia.

His three companions are his adopted sons (I just know it.. they are his adopted sons hehe), 
They given to Semar as votaries by their parents. Petruk is portrayed as tall and gangling with a long nose, Gareng as short with a club foot and Bagong as obese." if you want to know further more then google it.



The Panakawan Miniature of Javanese Wayang on Thimble by  KuroHouseofCraft


One of my craft friends ask me to make the miniature of the Panakawan complete with gamelans (Java music instruments) on the thimble. Since its very creepy actually for me, I want to made it more cute. I remember their face is white and red lips and their funny hair style, so I made it.

This miniatures made of Cernit polymer clay and I used WPO polymer clay varnish to give glossy looks. if you see the batik, I use polymer cane technique with asoka flowers inspiration. I use white, gold, brown and black combinations. I think making cane is quite addictive lol


So.. Enjoy my miniature, hope you like it. Please follow my instagram kurohouseofcraft


The Panakawan Miniature of Javanese Wayang on Thimble by  KuroHouseofCraft


No comments:

Post a Comment